With bonfire night approaching we thought it would be a good time to have a think about burns.
However burns are a significant issue at all times of year with around 130,000 presentations to UK EDs annually, 10,000 cases are admitted to hospital, 500 of these have severe burns and 200 of these will die. But most importantly intervention that we make can make a big difference to both morbidity and mortality, really affecting outcomes.
Throughout this episode we’ll be covering the essential first responder management, all the way through to the critical care that maybe required for the sickest of burns patients.
In the podcast we cover
- Burn type and burn severity
- The importance of history
- Assessing burn extent
- Assessing burn depth
- The A-E assessment and specifics regarding the burns patient
- NAI, antibiotics, tetanus cover, analgesia, special circumstances eyes & chemicals
- Conveyance and destination
As always we’d love to hear any thoughts or comments you have on the website and via twitter, we look forward to hearing from you.